Te Puke Times - 2021-10-14


Barge brought hotel building


This photo was unearthed in the archive room in Te Puke Library and Service Centre. A note found with it states it was donated by Trevor Reynolds. More information on the building was provided by Steve Vergeest: “The building (Kaituna Hotel) came to Te Puke by barge to Canaan Landing from Karangahake where it had closed as a hotel when Ohinemuri went dry. “It was owned by Dolph Montgomery, who subsequently brought his residence, later an old people’s home that also burnt down, to Te Puke. “The hotel was brought to Te Puke in sections and re-erected under the direction of Bob Petherbridge. It became known as the Kaituna Hotel, although it was not licensed.” According to From Flax to Fruit, the history of Te Puke Fire Brigade 1913-2013, the building, also known as Thompson’s Sack Factory, was no longer owned by the Thompsons and was unoccupied at the time of the fire. The building had been a town landmark for about 45 years. A new building on the site became the off licence for the Te Puke Hotel, and this was demolished when Te Puke New World was built. “The fire remains to this day one of the largest and most memorable within the Te Puke urban district.” ■ This photograph has been supplied by Western Bay of Plenty District Council’s community archives team. Information accompanying the photograph is, to the best of the team’s knowledge, accurate. However, it may well be that there are inadvertent omissions or errors and anyone who might be in possession of more information is welcome to send details to news@tepuketimes.


© PressReader. All rights reserved.